Friday, January 16, 2009

BBBrrrr!



We are now in our second consecutive snow day and the third so far this school year. I a concerned that students are missing instruction. I know as a teacher I am working about three hours a days finding new material and arranging ideas for school. In my humble opinion, I believe students should be working on content during snow days. Teachers used to be urged to make snow day packets for students to work on during snow days, but I haven't heard of anything like that for several years.
Many schools have Ed Line now and my school does too. I like adding material to Ed Line for resources and I encourage students and parents to utilize it besides checking for grades. But I don't get much feedback on it. I would like to see students use Ed Line on snow days to put in at least 15 minutes of time into an online quiz or activity to keep up their skills. Another idea I have would be to use a conferencing tool such as Skype that allow teachers and students to interact with one another during an assigned time.
These are just a couple of ideas I have for using snow days instead of letting it go to waste. For this work, we need families to have computers in their homes with Internet connection. We know this isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I want students to know that I am making education available to them right now even if it isn't a requirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment